1 April 2010

A Takeaway Chicken Korma


A little while back, I spotted English Mums yummy recipe for her Chicken dhansak. At the time I commented that I had a really good one for a 'takeaway' tasting Chicken Korma. But that it was always a sort of 'chuck it all in by eye, see what happens' sort of cooking event, with no measuring going on whatsoever. So I've been very good today, and tried to make a note of what I actually put in, and when. I served it with another Potato based veg curry, but I'll save that for another time.
I normally cook for 6, so just reduce or increase the main ingredients depending on how much you need. Some of the spices are approximates, as I use cumin/coriander seeds which I grind.


Chicken Korma:
6 chicken breasts cubed. (Although, today I only used 2, as they were huge and we also had the Potato curry)
2 large onions, sliced. 
Big glug of veg or soya oil in a pan with lid.
Large pinch of salt.
Black pepper.
1/2 tsp chilli, I use 'hot' chilli powder, add more or less to taste, we like it with a kick.
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mustard powder, or from a jar if thats all you have.
About an inch of finely chopped fresh ginger.
3 large, finely chopped garlic cloves.
1 tsp sugar
200-300ml Creme Fraiche
100g creamed coconut (2 x 50g sachets) I use Pataks 4 x 50g in a box.
1 - 2 tsp of ground almonds, to your taste, depends how 'much' of an almond flavour you want.




Cook the onions in the oil, until transluscent. Add all the spices, plus the ginger, garlic and sugar. Mix together well. Cook for about 2 or 3 minutes, then add the chicken. Cook the chicken through, on a low heat, for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the chicken is cooking, put the 2 unopened sachets of coconut in a deep cup and add boiling water. It takes about 5 mins for them to soften enough to use, but I just leave them in there until I need them.




There should still be some fluid in the pan, from the oil and chicken. If not, add a touch of water, so you have about an inch in the bottom of the pan.
When the chicken is cooked, add the creamed coconut, stirring constantly. It will thicken up quite a lot and get sticky, so keep stirring. 





As soon as the coconut is in, add enough of the creme fraiche to get a sauce consistancy, and mix well. 




 

Add the ground almonds and simmer, really low with the lid on, for another 10-15 mins, stirring. Then turn the pan off, done. 


 
The great thing about this is you can make it earlier in the day and just warm through when needed, serve with rice and naan bread. Or in my case today, with the Potato curry as well.
blog comments powered by Disqus